Wednesday 19 January 2011

How to interpret a VDR test

Based on the current evidence (see previous posts) I would interpret the VDR tests as follows (remember FFbb is the "ideal" genotype for GcMAF):

1. Yasko / Holistic Health

I would take the Yasko Fok results as given so:
-/- corresponds to FF
+/- corresponds to Ff
+/+ corresponds to ff

If you have a Taq result only, with 95% confidence (since Taq and Bsm "track" each other 95% of the time):
-/- corresponds to BB
+/- corresponds to Bb
+/+ corresponds to bb

If you have a separate Bsm result (old style test) then the above still applies, but without the 5% uncertainty.

2. Red labs

If you have a red labs test I would take the Fok results as follows:
"High responder" corresponds to ff
"Moderate responder" corresponds to Ff
"Low responder" corresponds to FF

I would take the Bsm result as:
"High responder" corresponds to bb
"Moderate responder" corresponds to Bb
"Low responder" corresponds to BB


Disclaimer: All of the above is my current best-guess based on the evidence I have available right now, and should not be taken as definitive. Also we don't know how important VDR genetics are to GcMAF treatment, as compared to other factors, e.g. length of illness, age, number/type of co-infections, endocrine health, current level of functioning etc.

5 comments:

  1. I received last week the results of my genetic test at 23andme. So much data! Of course I looked immediately for the VDR test but 23and me uses different letters for names than Yasko or Red Labs. I'm so confused now and wonder how my ME and XMRV + brain is going to make any sense of it. I would very much apprecieer you're help interperter these gene differences.

    Thanks,
    Tink Bastian

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    I have send you a comment/request before. I am the one who did the 23andme gene test and can't make anything out of my results because they use different letters and names.

    I have written/comment to Mindy but have received no reply so I'm trying my luck with you. ;-)

    Here is what I copied from 23andme results:
    This is my data: VDR 46526102 rs1544410 C or T CC
    With the CC being my version.

    According to Mindy's Gene chart rs1544410 should be the Bsm/Taq +A/-G
    But looking at the letters this 23andme coding ooks more like the FOK +T/-C

    The rs10735810 is not available.

    23andme explains: For example, 23andMe might report that a SNP has two versions, G and A. But other sources may report that the versions are C and T. Because of the double-stranded nature of DNA, both ways of reporting the SNP are correct: G pairs with C on the opposite DNA
    strand, while A pairs with T.

    Does this mean I have the double GG as Mindy discusses, which means I will react favorable to GcMaf?
    Confusion is getting worse ;-) Please help ;-)

    You can reach me at my email at myalgic@me.com
    Apologies for using your comment to communicate with you, I saw no other way.

    --
    Christine
    Portland, OR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine,
    apologies for my late reply. Am still trying to get to grips with the blog software.

    rs1544410 corresponds to Bsm.

    As 23andme say, CC on your Bsm is the same as GG. So yes you are double GG as Mindy discusses, or --, or bb, or "high responder".

    Many thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Garcia,

    Thanks for the great info here. Will definitely be trying to absorb this and watching for more developments on GcMAF. I gather that it would be hard to get in the US, though

    subtr4ct

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Subtr4ct,
    it is slightly harder (but certainly not impossible) to get hold of in the US.

    many thanks for your comment!
    garcia.

    ReplyDelete